Saturday, May 3, 2008

Swansea Crocodile latest news report



Big Article on Croc in Swansea Evening Post yesterday on page 3.

No snap decision
, there's a croc!

'Steve, aged 49, said: "I was out on Sunday morning walking the dog out at the lake and was walking around the lake when I saw something moving in the water.

"It was like a millpond, as still as anything.

"I thought it was a log.

"But there were ripples coming from around it. I thought it could be a fish. As I was just four metres out, I thought I must be seeing things.

"I shouted to the dog, and it (the reptile) turned away and dived back down and into the water. It was either a crocodile or an alligator.

"It was about a metre long."

"I am 100 per cent positive."

Steve, of Oakwood, Pontrhydyfen, Port Talbot, said: "I went straight home and told my partner and she said 'you better report it to the police because youngsters go swimming there in the summer'." Steve is convinced it was an alligator he saw, adding that he had seen them before in Florida. "I think somebody must have had it as a pet," he added.

"I was watching a television programme a few years ago, and it said people buy these monkeys and crocs and once they get a bit too big for the bath they let them go.

"That's the only way I can think how it got there."

Swansea resident Gwilym Games, a member of the Centre for Fortean Zoology, said crocodile reports were quite common.

He said: "There have been quite a few reports of crocodiles in different lakes in the UK."


More at the article Read this article

Swansea Tourism once again express their hope that this will rival Loch Ness :)

Interesting to note the RSPCA has noted some nasty abuse of animals in South Wales recently:

RSPCA CALLS FOR END TO ATTACKS

Evening Post 09:00 - 03 May 2008

The Rspca is calling for an end to airgun abuse of animals in South Wales, following a spate of attacks. Two cats, a bird and a horse were shot with airgun pellets during March and April. The bird and one of the cats had to be put to sleep as a result of their injuries.RSPCA chief inspector Elaine Spence said: "Mindless airgun attacks on pets and wildlife are a serious problem. These incidents only provide a snapshot of the issue, and many more animals are suffering needless pain and death. Sadly, not all incidents are reported to us or witnessed."

The charity is appealing for the public to report any incidents to the police, and asks parents not to buy their child a gun unless they are going to supervise them at all times.

No comments: